Saturday, November 16, 2013

I Had An Accident

This morning, Stanley and I got out of bed and ran outside.  It had snowed and we were very excited. But first we had to go inside to eat our breakfast, and then we begged mom and dad to go play in the snow.  They said "Okay".  So we were just playing.  Then I don't know what happened.  Mom says sometimes when a terrible thing happens our minds won't remember it, but I felt a terrible pain in my paw.  And there was blood gushing out EVERYWHERE!

Stanley freaked out.  He had never seen so much blood.  He screamed, "Brother, you've been shot!"  I did not know.  Maybe I was shot.  I just knew I was  in pain and losing all my bloods.  I knew mom and dad were my only hope to survive.  So I dragged my body up the hill, up 17 stairs, and to the back door.  Stanley pounded on the door frantically, "Mom! Dad! Murphy's been shot!"  So Dad came rushing to the door.  I was feeling faint from the intense, throbbing pain.  Dad scooped me up in his strong arms and screamed to mom, "Woman, call the dogtur, Murphy's been shot!".  Mom picked up the phone, barely able to dial the numbers with her trembling hands.  Finally the nurse answered and mom told her I had been shot.  The nurse shouted to bring me in immediately!

We all jumped in the truck.  Stanley rode in the back like we usually do but mom held me on her lap and stroked my furs, whispering quietly, "It's OK sweet boy, it's gonna be okay."  But I could tell by her racing heartbeat, trembling voice, and the way her eyes leaked like Niagara falls that I was in big troubles.  And the blood continued to gush out so I knew that was a bad sign.

Meanwhile, dad threw the truck into 4-wheel drive so we could get through the high snowdrifts.  We still slid all over the road.  The snowplows hadn't gotten out yet.  He flashed his lights, beeped the horn, and screamed at all the other drivers, "Outta my way, we gotta get this boy to the dogtur, he's been shot!!!"  Dad continued to make our way down the road at 87 mph, running red lights.  Stanley howled to alert other drivers to our emergency situation.

As soon as we crashed through the front doors of the dogtur's office, the nurse lead us to a room.  "The dogtur will be right here", she said.  Mom just held me and stroked me but I was really upset so even though I NEVER cry, I started crying like crazy, "I don't wanna die!"  I writhed in pain as mom and dad tried to console me.

Within seconds Dr. Eddy came rushing into the room shouting, "Where's the patient?"  But the words no sooner escaped his lips when he saw me, totally covered in blood.  By now there was blood all over me, mom, dad, the truck, and now the exam table.


Dr. Eddy was cool under pressure.  He put me on the exam table and squirted off all the blood so he could see the bullet hole.  I was relieved to see my paw was not totally blown off by the blast of the bullet.


After he examined my paw, he removed blood from my thigh and belly (in case there were bullet holes there too) but it was only on my paw.  What a relief!  I was still crying like crazy.  Dr. Eddy said that he was shocked I didn't cry the whole time (mom told him I was NO crybaby).  He said that although I was in a lot of pain he thought it was anxiety making me cry.  I have to admit, I was crying pretty bad and squirming like crazy.

So it turned out that there was no bullet hole.  I don't know why Stanley thought I was shot. BUT, there was a bad injury.  My toenail got ripped right out of my toe!  Yup, it was totally missing (actually mom thought she heard it fall onto the floor).  Dr. Eddy checked me over real good to see if I tore my toe, I guess that happens, but I was "lucky" (trust me, I did not feel lucky) that it pulled out without damaging the toe more.

So Dr. Eddy wrapped me up and sent us home.  Now I have to keep the bandage dry for 4 hours cuz he said I could easily get an infection.  After 4 hours dad can take the bandage off but I have to be careful to not make it bleed anymore.


He gave me pills to take so I don't get an infection and pain pills in case I am suffering too much.  So now I am just trying to rest.





Murphy

30 comments:

Val said...

So glad your peeps got you to the dogtor so fast and we're so relieved you weren't SHOT!! Take care little buddy and remember what we said on FB....milk it for all the treats you can EAT!!! Tell your peeps to take a deep breath and breathe.

My Mind's Eye said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MURPHY TELL ME IT IS NOT SO. BLESS YOUR SWEET DOODLE HEART AND THANK GOODNESS YOUR BRO WAS WITH YOU.
I AM SO VERRRRRRY AND I SEND YOU KITTY KISSES AND SLOBBER THEY ARE SURE TO HEAL YOUR LICKETY SPLIT. MOM SAYS KITTY SLOBBER TURNS TO CEMENT WHEN IT DRIES SO IT WILL BE A GOOD BANDAGE.
HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF

Ruby said...

Holy COW PATTIES!!! That is just awful Murphy!! I am so glads you weren't shot!! That would have been just awfuls!
Now, this happened to one of Ma's Angel doggies, butts she had to keep it dry and wrapped for like 4 MONTHS while the nail grew out. Ma had to buy infant socks to keep on her paw (now, of course they have those pawsome booties!), and wrap it everytime it rained. It wasn't too bad.
I hopes you gets to feelin' better real soon Murphy (and milk it for all it's worth dude...trust me!)
Kisses,
Ruby ♥
pees: Ma says to tell your peeps that hydrogen peroxide takes the blood right out of the fabric! (sad she knows this...BOL)

Murphy said...

Thanks Val, Mom gave me a treat but I didn't feel like eating it so I am saving it for later.

Murphy said...

We think that was why I was "lucky" cuz the toe itself wasn't damaged. We got the impression from the dogtur that the toe is often torn as well. But he said I only had to be bandaged (once this comes off) if it started bleeding again. But I am being brave now that I am home.

Unknown said...

Oh no poor you Murphy. You gave your peeps quite a scare and us too we have to admit. We send healing vibes and POTP to you. Take it easy and make sure you keep it clean and dry.
Best wishes Molly

Scooter said...

OMD, Murphy! I'm stunned about your ouchie. I'm so sorry this happened, but at least it wasn't worse. Holy cow, this is awful, just awful. I think I'll ship you a truckload of my bestest healing vibes right now. Gosh, you're so brave to take this so well. I would have been screaming like murder. Take good care, Dood.
Grr and a Worried Woof,
Sarge, Furiend

NanaNor's said...

Oh dear Murphy, I'm so sorry about that toenail but so very glad that you didn't get shot!!! I wonder if your nail got stuck between two boards or something. Hopefully your nap will help you to relax and the medicine will take all the pain away. We are sending healing thoughts and prayers to you!
Noreen & Hunter

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

HOLY GWALK A MOLEY MURPHY.... THAT was the most SCARY story we have heard since HOWL O WEEN... OMD OMD we are SOOOOOOOO sorry that you have this terrible TERRIBLE WOUND... (Wonder if there is a Toe nail Fairy, and if she will bring you a pressie or treats?) THANK DAWGNESS Stanley was there to SOUND THE ALARM and that your Dad has been taking driving lessons from PUDDLES and Angel PIP.. AND that your Dogtor was IN and knew what to do. Will you need one of those TransConfustions after that loss of your vital bloods?
Buddy you need to MILK and also COOKIE this one fur all it is worth... Think Santa Pawslike... MILK AND COOKIES. You surely do deserve it... and Stanley gets his fair share fur HELPIN you.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

We are so sorry you got hurt but so relieved it wasn't a shot and your paw is gonna heal and you will be back to your regular life soon. Rest up and enjoy all the extra love and treats (you can probably use sad eyes and whining to get extra). Lee and Phod

Lucy-Fur, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Super scary!!! Our great-uncle Ben ripped his toe nail out once on the Same Day that Mom was having surgery to have her horribly broken wrist fixed. Somewhere (Mom can't find where at the moment), there's a picture of Mom after her surgery and Ben with his bandaged paw asleep, wounded paws right next to each other. Feel better, buddy! And we're really glad you weren't shot - that would have been awful!

*kissey face*
-Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

Ranger said...

OMD. I am soooooooo glad you are alright. I was reading your postie as fast as I could to get to the end. Such a relief dat you weren't shot. Having your toenail ripped off must have been very painful but you were very brave. Your brother did a great job of alerting your Mom and Dad of your injury. I think dat it is so cool dat you guys have each others back. I keep telling Mom dat I need a brother.
The hole ordeal must have been really scary for everyone. Rest up and see if Mom will give you some ice cream.
Wags,
Ranger

Millie and Walter said...

Hey Murphy that was a real scary story. I'm sure glad you weren't shot and are going to be okay. It sure is fun to play with our fursibs, but sometimes we do have these little mishaps. Don't let it stop you from playing with your brother again but you probably should wait until your toe heals at least. Heal fast dood.

Walter

Cara n Crew said...

yoW! Murphy! what an ouchie! You were very brave! we don't blame you for being squirmy and crying. We hope your pawsie doesn't hurt too much and you'll feel up to some treats :) purrs,

Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, Hollie

Idaho PugRanch said...

OMD Murphy!!!!!!!~!! You had us really upset! Glad you weren't really shot, but OMD that must have really hurt to lose your toenail. You better take it real easy for a while. and have lots of treats to take your mind off the pain.
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Greta

Anonymous said...

Whew, Me and Bites were yelling terrorist, stay down. Glad it was not a bullet, you take it easy, betcha Mom and Dad take real good care of you!

The Mad Scots

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all!

Oh do so hope you heal up soon! I can't think of anything worse than loosing an entire toenail! Why they do fingernails off people to torture them...my Human said she read it in a spy novel.

Paws crossed that you are well really quickly!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

GOOSE said...

Murphy I am glad that Dr. Eddy fixed you up. Here is the thing, even though you are going to be OK, take this opportunity to milk it for all it's worth. It has been my experience you can get a whole lot out of the peeps in situations like this.
Blessings,
Goose

stellaroselong said...

We r so happy u are okay do I need me to come over n take care of u while mom is sleeping I cam take the 3rd shift hugs San loves
Stella rose

bichonpawz said...

OMD!!! Murphy!!! You scared the crap out of us!! We are very glad that your Dad was able to get you to the Doc ok and that you are all fixed up and ready to heal now!! Good thing that you two were playing together...Stanley must have been FREAKING out!! We are sending healing thoughts and lots of hugs!! xo Chloe and LadyBug

Taffy said...

Oh!My!Dog! Murphy, what was you doin outside to cause your toenail to be torn out? And, what kind of riff raff were you two hanging out with that would cause Stanley to think you'd been shot? And how could your mom hear your toenail hit the floor if you was outside in the snow?

Mom says my brother Max had that happen to him once. He was quite the feisty doxie and had to be muzzled when getting his nails trimmed. He hated that muzzle more than the nail trimming so he would try with all his might to get it off. One time, he tried so hard his toenail went flying and blood squirted everywhere! Momma says she knows how stressful this is for your parents and will be praying for you and them.

Unknown said...

Youuch! Getting a toenail ripped off is no joke! Hope you feel better soon!

JacksDad said...

Maybe someone shot off your toenail!!! You never can tell.

Pippa Sheltie said...

Oweeee!!! Aw, Murphy, I would have been so concerned if you'd been shot - who would want to shoot you?! Stanley is obviously a good brother - he got super worried!!
I'm just glad you're ok now, but I bet it's so sore! At least your paw's all wrapped up like a Christmas Present - hey, maybe you'll open it to find a new claw!
Get better soon,
Pippa :)

Mary Ann said...

Oh my goodness... I am so sorry to read about this... we have been through it too, and it's NOT fun!

Inger said...

I hope you are resting and not tearing around in the snow.

Mollie said...

OMD Murphy, we don't usually blog weekend but had to come and see'z you'z OK Dood..You'z didn't have'z that tornado up ya butt like'z I did..Wez hope'z ya paw get'z better real soon.. Im'z sending'z sweet kizzez to heal it, can you feel it :) ???? Love'z you xxooxxxx

Mollie and Alfie

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Oh My we are catching up on or blog reading. Sending you Lots of Golden Healing Thoughts. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Unknown said...

For a second there I actually thought Murphy was shot! I'm so glad that wasn't the case! That would have been horrible!

I hope Murphy will feel better soon! We are sending lots of POTP, and healing vibes his way!

Miss Sophie said...

Murphy, My ,mom was horrified when she read about you being shot. We were so happy to find out it was just an accident and one less toe nail to polish -- oh, maybe that's just us girls. In any case, so very happy you are on the mend. Hope to see you on Walkees one of these days -- if we start doing them again! I haven't seen you since I was a pup and I'm a big girl now!